Subject: [Leica] "I Spy" exhibit at the NGA, plus Joan Miro
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 10:11:36 -0600

Last night I returned from Washington DC, where I had a chance to see "I
Spy," the current exhibit of street photography at the National Gallery.  I
was pretty impressed, both with the curation and the photographs.  The
concept was to have a retrospective review of surreptitious street
photography in the US, featuring 5 photographers who are noted for the
genre: Walker Evans, Robert Frank, Harry Callahan, Philip-Lorca diCorcia
and the Swiss artist Beat Streuli.  The time frame was 1938-2009 and the
intent was to show the evolution of the form, from Evans' discreet NYC
subway portraits in the 30s to the recent series from the 2000s using fixed
hidden cameras triggered remotely (diCorcia and Streuli) including color
stills and videos.  The exhibition directly addressed the ethical question
of surreptitious photography and noted that Evans called himself the
"apologetic voyeur."  Here's a link to the Gallery's interactive PDF:
http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2012/ispy/ispy.pdf

Well worth a visit if you're in the area.  There's also an *outstanding*
large retrospective of Joan Miro in the East Wing.  My first chance to see
a lot of his work face to face and I was really blown over.  Wish I could

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from zoeica at mac.com (Chris Williams) ([Leica] "I Spy" exhibit at the NGA, plus Joan Miro)