Subject: [Leica] Gene Smith at the Phoenix Art Museum
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 14:33:39 -0700

Went to the PAM briefly yesterday. It's a huge building with multiple
exhibit areas and it took me a bit of time to find the Gene Smith exhibit.
This is the first time I have seen Smith's prints in person. Gene is my
hero and as usual in this sort of thing, seeing "live" prints is another
experience all together vs. seeing prints from books or magazine. It would
appear that Gene made his prints quite a bit darker than the ones
reproduced by the Life magazine.

The exhibit has a selection from 4 of his photo essays: the Country Doctor,
the Nurse Midwife, the Man of Mercy and Minamata, plus a few images from
his earliest work on the Pacific war.

Definitely worth a trip to see the exhibit if you are around the area.

--

Replies: Reply from robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron) ([Leica] Gene Smith at the Phoenix Art Museum)