Subject: [Leica] Leica Monochrome
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 22:35:48 -0400

Agreed. I just graduated college, have some loans to pay even though
the GI Bill helped me out (but no, did not pay for my entire education
as most Americans think it does) and just last week I had the pleasure
of moving out of my apartment because I couldn't afford rent. But I
didn't move into a new place of my own, instead I had a few friends
help me store the items that I kept and now I'm couch surfing. Still
unemployed and I apply for jobs just about every day and follow up on
the ones I've applied for as often. Job hunting is my job now.

I still have an M9 because I'm holding out hope that there might be a
job somewhere in the nation that I can find that will be in
photography. The GI Bill paid for that camera as my one big educational
write off, that's why I have it. I don't think I'll be able to live long
without being a photographer. Sure, some will say my priorities are
messed up being homeless and owning an M9 but this has come on kind of
quickly and in the case that a media type job does come along then I
have to have a camera. There are less expensive alternatives, yes, but
I'm not selling my entire Leica kit of a few beat up and scratched
lenses plus my M9 so I can buy an older Nikon or Canon DSLR and lay out
a few thousand on glass needed for work. I'm either in or I'm out, no in
between.

My case as a journalist is one that we're reading about more and more.
College graduates, post grads and PhDs taking jobs in entry level
retail, wait staff or the like just to keep feeding themselves. I just
applied to work at a bakery and I'm going to an open-call interview
tomorrow for an $8/hr job that I'm competing for against recent high
school graduates.

So no, I don't see how many folks in my generation will be able to
invest in a Leica kit down the road. The economy of this country and of
the world is completely different from before 2007 and vastly different
from what it was more than a decade ago, let alone 40 years ago.

10 years ago most would have bet that Leica would have gone under
before Kodak, that's why I mentioned Kodak. Kodak failed to keep up
even though they were at the forefront of technology in digital
capture. They just didn't market it well. But I never thought I would
see the day that Kodak would go under. Meanwhile Leica is still around
but somehow is bringing out cameras and a standard lens at prices
higher than a year's tuition at almost every public college in the US.
Leica can still fail. So there are people out there swinging the value
of my education or Chris Crawford's two degrees around their shoulder.
Now with the monochrome version we know that most of the users will be
rich hobbyists or professionals that can afford to have several M9
bodies, one color, one B&W. But Leica is further alienating themselves
from their future market because more and more people are starting to
have to live like me. $8/hr part time at a bakery is the job I'm really
hoping to get right now because it's available. Here. Now.

The world is a different place now but luckily we're living longer so
we can work a decade or two more and maybe save up for a used M9 and a
legacy computer in our twilight years.

Yeah, I'm angry.

Phil Forrest

--