Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Marilu
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 15:01:43 -0700

Tina Manley SHOWED:

> PESO:
>
> Two that go together.  This is Marilu Peraza, age 3, admiring herself in
> the bumper of a truck.  Marilu does not have a mirror at home.

> I took her back a print of this photo so she could see herself without the
> distortion of the bumper!

> Scanning children now - some Kodachrome and some Astia.

Hi Tina,

We who have pretty well everything, even those who do nothing but whine and
bitch about everything in their life of the day! Never see this kind moment
for a child born of another land where something as simple as a mirror or
even a piece of a mirror can make the child's day something special and
memories of a lifetime..

In this situation the kindness of making a print and giving it to the child
to give her something never before seen without distortion will not likely
ever be forgotten as she grows up. And it's done out of the goodness of ones
heart without any thought of return. On occasion a smile upon receiving the
print can be so rewarding it's worth millions!

We have all captured the moment in another's life and yet never thought to
knock off a print, even a 4X6 to give them a treasure of a lifetime or
maybe, but for a few moments in their lives.

One thing I've done generally as a fun thing over the years when covering
international sports events, Olympics, World Track & Field or Pan Am Games,
whatever... If I see another photog and I catch he or she in a moment of
whatever it maybe? I shoot him/her and get a print made simply for nothing
else than a moment in their lives while at an event. We shoot everything
else going on! Well that's what we're paid to do, so expecting or ever
thinking of a photo of oneself in the madhouse of a stadium, swimming pool
or wherever is never really thought of. A "happy snap" received, saved for
many years later is once again more than money can buy.

Look how we pretty well all re-act when we see posted pictures of a "LEICA
STACKING?" Or a bunch of folks around a table holding a glass of whatever in
salute to the crew at home for later on the screen.

It's all simple little things photographers and photography do in our
lives....... help maintain the memories of our lives! And a nice feeling
of... "Jeesh I remember that we had a blast!" :-) :-)

Now put that in the life of this child and know she was given a lifetime
memory due to the simple kindness of a "lady with a picture machine!"
Thanks Tina!

cheers,
ted