Subject: [Leica] Third party M to X adapter (to Simon)
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:33:17 -0500

>Have you not considered the possibility that not everyone can afford a
>digital Leica M, but maybe has some lenses still kicking around from
>their film days and would like to make use of them again?  Or the fact
>that there are only three lenses currently for the Fuji and not many
>more than that for the Sony NEX?  All cameras systems have there
>compromises, but most here would agree that Leica M lenses produce the
>best results in many situations, so why not try to use them on other
>systems?

Simon --

Yes, I have considered this.

Honestly, Leica glass has appreciated so much in value, you'd be MUCH
better off selling it and putting toward the XP1 and a system of lenses.

I seriously doubt that anyone on this forum (short of deep pixel-peeping in
non-real world tests) is going to see better (i.e., meaningful) results on
the XP1 with Leica (or any other non-Fuji) lenses.

But my point really is that manual focusing on the XP1 is a VERY inexact
process. What good are the sharpest lenses (again, of any make) if the
photographer cannot precisely focus? And reasonably quickly?

My point continues that manual focusing on the XP1 (or Sony NEX, Panasonic,
etc.) is at the very best a fidgety, time-consuming process.

Again, video doesn't necessarily apply. Nor does if you put on a lens and
leave it set for infinity all the time, a landscape photographer, perhaps.
And, and the guy that hyper-focuses an extreme wide angle and never expects
a subject to be too close or too far away.

But I seriously doubt that the aforementioned group approaches the
mainstream group who are enjoying their mirrorless camera of choice, in
this case the Fuji XP1.
.
Dave.

--
See my 2012 Picture A Week (PAW) Gallery
<http://www.dlkphotography.com/paw>originally begun in 2007.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Third party M to X adapter (to Simon))