Subject: [Leica] Third party M to X adapter
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 05:52:14 -0700

Hello Luggers,
I am safely back in Canada - amazed at the lack of crowds and the clearness
of the air. Just prior to my departure to Canada, I picked up
a-just-delivered-from-the-factory Shogun M to X adapter from their shop on
Lock Road in Tsim Sha Tsui. Kowloon.  I have been playing with the adapter
and all my Leica lenses. In sum, although nicely made, it does not provide
sharp focus at infinity* for my 18mm, 24mm, several 35mm lenses or 50mm
summilux Asph. Longer telephoto lengths (Cosina 75, 90 Elmarit, 135 Elmar)
maintain better infinity focus but still not tack sharp.  Also if the Tri
Elmar is mounted the 35 setting will not lock on and you cannot, without a
great deal of perplexing effort and careful jimmy-ing get the adapter off.
GIven the delicacy of the focal length shifting mechanism on the 3T that was
a heart stopping moment. I took test pictures of city lights at dawn (up
because of Jet lag) on a tripod at ISO 3200 but I am not going to bother to
post them. The description above sums it up. If anyone wants to see a set of
the photos please contact me off list. In sum the impression is that there
is potential here but the adapter obviously needs to be precision measured
and made. Fuji's surely will be. Joseph Yao says he thinks what I have from
Shogun may be just slightly too thick. Of course accurate handheld focusing
with 10X magnification will be hit and miss for most unless the camera is on
a tripod. For myself I think it may be better to stick with Fuji lenses and
autofocus given my tri focal eyes.
Cheers
Howard
* infinity meaning the lens is set on infinity and city lights in North
Vancouver (several miles away) are pin pricks of light on the sensor when in
focus.

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Third party M to X adapter)