Subject: [Leica] IMG: Great Blue Heron rookery
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 11:12:28 -0700

Along Putah Creek, east of Winters, is a rookery for great blue herons. This
one has been there at least 5 years that I know of.

Today I took the 560 Telyt, tripod, and the NEX-7 to see what I could make
of it.

My experience was positive - the lens handles much better with the NEX-7
than it does with the huge Canon 1Ds MKII attached. But I didn't take my
industrial-strength tripod with me so there was a bit of jiggle in these
images. I got some killer HD video though that I'll share after I edit down
for those who are interested.

The image of the lone bird on the nest is full-frame. The image of the two
herons working on their nest is somewhat cropped.

This leads you to the latter image:

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/15932409_sLDV2F#!i=1784315389&k=N6XvG4v>

I only did a little bit of sharpening to this image.

I'm guessing that the nest is between 70 and 90 meters from the camera. More
to the long side than the short one, but I'm not great at judging distances.

I have included full-resolution images. There appears to be quite a bit of
chromatic aberration which surprises me a bit. Not sure what is going on
there.

Also, for your viewing pleasure, is this little flower I passed in the
country-side south of town. I had seen it earlier in the day when I was
cycling, and I'd stopped and taken a few photos with the 35mm Summicron I
had on the NEX-7 at the time. But I wanted to explore it a bit closer
because the flower itself is quite small, only a couple of cm or so.

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/22003432_Lz2PWj#!i=1784951420&k=n8nGd9M&lb=1&s=A>

This is with the 100mm Leica APO-R. I used the new Noviflex mount which
makes for a very stable mount although it presents a few issues with lens
removal but nothing major, just a little to fuss with.

Again I have put up the full-sized image if you want to peer more deeply
into the image.

Comments/critique/criticism always appreciated.

Enjoy!

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: Great Blue Heron rookery)