Subject: [Leica] Eggleston
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 16:02:45 -0600

Thanks for posting that, Jay.  I've been following that story for a bit
since learning about the auction from friends in Memphis who knew/know
Eggleston and follow his career.  I knew him also and used his darkroom for
a while back in the 60s.  I had the same misgivings about the "limited
editions" concept, but this thread has made me rethink it a bit.  I don't
think limited means never make another print of any kind, but rather that
this print run was limited to a certain number.  Anyway it's mostly in the
realm of art commerce, which is not my line of work.  Here's a link to an
article from the Memphis newspaper that has more details, including some
shocking prices for individual prints ($500k+).
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/mar/13/eggleston-works-fetch-59m/

And here's a link to a photo of me (standing) and Eggleston (at the piano)
in his home in 1968.
https://picasaweb.google.com/117151061481593494544/RecentUploads#5182522366510390402

--
Phil Swango