Subject: [Leica] Simba Cubs at Play
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 20:05:01 +0530

Just got back from Ranthambhore after a week of very enjoyable wildlife
watching at Ranthambhore National Park.

The last series of Big Cat photographs from my recent safari to Northern
Tanzania depicts Simba Cubs in uninhibited play. As I mentioned, with
plentiful food (look at the bellies of the cubs in all the photographs
below), a lot of time was available for play - in fact in one instance they
used an uneaten wildebeest calf carcass as an impromptu football, and did
not show the slightest inclination to eat it, having polished off its
mother earlier. The play is deadly serious stuff - it provides practice for
and thus hones all the skills that the cubs would need for survival in
adulthood. It also determines their pecking order within the pride, and for
any male partnerships that might form later.

Tag:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Tanzania+2012/Tanzania_20120306_07586.jpg.html

Boxing:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Tanzania+2012/Tanzania_20120306_07599.jpg.html

Wrestling:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Tanzania+2012/Tanzania_20120306_07601.jpg.html

Neck Lock:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Tanzania+2012/Tanzania_20120307_08345.jpg.html

Right Hook:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Tanzania+2012/Tanzania_20120306_07772.jpg.html

Painful Bite:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Tanzania+2012/Tanzania_20120307_08412.jpg.html

Football:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Tanzania+2012/Tanzania_20120306_07807.jpg.html

The Four Musketeers:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Tanzania+2012/Tanzania_20120307_08426.jpg.html

Please see large.

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Simba Cubs at Play)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Simba Cubs at Play)