Subject: [Leica] Personal thoughts on the NEX-7 and M8
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:22:23 -0700

In another thread there's a discussion related to this one. But I've been
trying to distill my thoughts so I'll offer them here.

I like the NEX-7 a lot. It's a winner. It's small. It's light. It's a great
travel camera. It will let me mount my Leica glass. AND, and this is a
really big AND . . . when we travel I can hand it to someone and ask them to
take my photo beside Jan and the person I hand it to will be able to look at
the screen on the back and take the picture. Or even look through the
"viewfinder". I cannot do that with the M8. Focusing is just impossible for
someone who doesn't know what's going on. And the NEX-7 shoots very very
good HD video. It's not 4-2-2, but I'd pay $5k for a camera that does shoot
4-2-2.

But it's not a Leica. It's a Sony and it has all the failings of the
Japanese camera companies, save maybe one. It wants to do everything. It
wants to shoot panoramas. It wants to detect smiles. It wants to shoot in
something like a dozen different modes.

None of these "features" are related to the fundamentals of taking pictures.

Leica, on the other hand, wants to present a user experience that's focused
on enabling the photographer to get the shot. No fancy modes. The camera
won't recognize a face or a smile or a sea otter. That's MY job. Except for
setting ISO, I can change anything important on my M8 with a dial. It works
with my gloves on.

There are functions on the NEX-7 that I love: the display in the viewfinder
that shows that the camera is level on two axes. That's really useful. I
don't need a level. I like the histogram display and I love the focus zoom
so I can use the phase detection ability to nail the focus - with lenses
like the Noctilux or the 100 APO R lens it's a killer feature.

There are things I hate: the stupid video record button that I manage to
press by accident just about every time I have the camera out. I think there
may be an after-market opportunity with some sort of anti-press device
unless Sony decides to upgrade the firmware to turn that off.

The camera needs a pancake lens, 18mm or so at maybe f1.8 or so.

I won't be able to afford an M10 I'm certain. I'll be happy with my M8 which
takes wonderful pictures. But I'll lust for the almost Jobs-ian focus that
the Leica designers bring to the cameras they craft. It's something the
Japanese just can't seem to get their heads around: it's feature after
feature after feature. For an enthusiast you have to wonder if these are
really necessary? Do focus groups show that without smile detection people
won't fork over $1,000 for a camera?

Sigh.

You'll be seeing a lot of NEX-7 photos from me. It already goes everywhere
with me. It's lighter than the M8, more compact, and I won't lose as much if
something bad happens.

Adam

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Personal thoughts on the NEX-7 and M8)