Subject: [Leica] B&W Leica?
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 15:07:15 -0400

On Mar 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM -0700, Steve Barbour wrote:
>Tim,  maybe I'm confused, but if the human eye is more sensitive to
>green, why more (rather than less) green pixels?

I forgot to add:  In a perfect world, we'd have sensors that measure RGB
at EACH sensor location.  Yes, it might give us higher color resolution
than we actually need and make our files a bit bigger, but that's not
necessarily a bad thing.

In a practical world, where Foveon sensors have issues that Bayer
sensors don't have, we might be sticking with the Bayer idea (or
variations of it) for some time.  Especially considering that pretty
much all the video any of us has ever watched has less color resolution
than it does luminance resolution.  In other words, the idea of reducing
color resolution is pretty ubiquitous and doesn't seem to be going
anywhere, and consumers are usually totally okay with it.

Replies: Reply from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] B&W Leica?)
Message from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] B&W Leica?)
Message from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] B&W Leica?)
Message from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] B&W Leica?)