Subject: [Leica] My first gallery posting on LUG
From: bywilliamcarter at gmail.com (William Carter)
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:14:28 -0400

Dear LUG:

I uploaded 2 photos that I used in my blog post referred to in my last
posting. The first one is featured on the cover of the March 2012
issue of The Sun magazine, which, according to its website, ?is an
independent, ad-free monthly magazine that for more than thirty years
has used words and photographs to invoke the splendor and heartache of
being human.? Also in the folder is another one I took of two Yemeni
children.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/bywilliamcarter/tribalism/

In 1964, when I first arrived in Beirut (where I would be based for
two years as a photojournalist), I met Dana Schmidt, the New York
Times Middle East bureau chief, who asked me to accompany him on a
journey to Cairo, Yemen, and Aden. From Sana?a, Yemen, we traveled
north toward a tribal civil war then raging between the Royalists
(backed by the Saudis) and the Republicans (backed by the Egyptians).
The country was extremely undeveloped in those days. We met this man
on the road north. He wore his curved dagger as a traditional emblem
of manly power. Stuck in his headband was a sprig of khat, a mild
narcotic plant chewed by most Yemeni men in the afternoons to induce a
state of semi-stupor. The photo is reproduced in my recent book,
Causes and Spirits.  The full un-cropped print, made in my darkroom,
includes the long-abandoned ruins of a castle on the hill behind the
man.

Here's the rest of the blog post:

http://bywilliamcarter.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/them-vs-us-and-beyond/

Let me know whether I'm doing this right, or if I've violated any of
your conventions.

William Carter

Replies: Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] My first gallery posting on LUG)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] My first gallery posting on LUG)