Subject: [Leica] B&W Leica?
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:41:52 -0700

We can look back a few years and recall that Kodak did make a B&W sensor
camera. I think it was in a Nikon body? This was before the M8.

I'd love to see a monochrome M. But I know so little about the sourcing of
sensors that I have no idea what's available out there for Leica to choose
from.

However, for a given area of real-estate on the sensor, it would be possible
to keep the effective pixel-density the same (images would have the same
dimensions) while increasing both sensitivity AND dynamic range. If there
were a trade-off I'd vote for dynamic range - Leica has such a great
inventory of fast lenses that going to ISO Light of a Bright Idea seems
important only if you're trying to impress someone with your spec sheet.
Dynamic range, however, will reveal itself in every shot you make.

Now that printers can make really good black and white images I'd say kewl.

But, sadly, I won't be able to afford the price-tag for one of these should
they be produced. If the M9 is $$$ this will be $$$ with added donuts.
UNLESS Leica decides to experiment using, say, a micro-4/3rds format, basing
the camera on something from Panasonic.

I can't understand not putting on rear LCD. My primary use is looking at the
histograms to get a good exposure reading. Not knowing what you've captured
would seem to be a real down-tick in this day in age.

My thoughts. Your mileage may vary. Now I'm off to play with my new NEX-7
with the 50mm f2.0 Leica lens.

Film at 11, as they say.

Adam

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] B&W Leica?)