Subject: [Leica] What if digital hadn't come along?
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 22:08:40 -0600 (CST)

From: "Robert Meier" <robertmeier at usjet.net>

>Would there have have been further development in film cameras?  What would
>you improve on the M6TTL, M7, or MP?   Or the R9?   Or the Nikon F6?

>What do you think?

>Robert
======================================================================================================================================
I would have liked an M3 with built-in meter.  I prefer that viewfinder,
with high magnification, and frames for 50-90-135.  I just don't shoot much
with anything wider than a 50mm.  I'm always amused by the popularity of
wide angles as general purpose lenses.  A 90 is almost my "normal", so I was
pleased last week to be given an Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.4.  When I use it on
my 30D, it becomes an 80mm f/1.4.  (For my Leicas, I have a rigid 9 cm Elmar
LTM, a collapsible 90mm Elmar, a Nikkor 85mm f/2 LTM and an 85mm F/1.5
Lithagon LTM)

I thought the best Nikon was the F2, except for the meter switch being the
wind lever; then they went downhill with built-in motors and AF.  The F3 was
battery dependent and the later models were way too big.  My very favorite
SLR was the Olympus OM4T - perfect size, large, bright viewfinder with
built-in diopter correction, and great metering system.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3 at uwm.edu