Subject: [Leica] Nikon scanners and Windows 7 64 bit
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 21:53:54 +1000

I decided to use up my film stocks from my freezer. If you ever priced pro
Fuji slide film in Australia you would understand why!
I started with all of my BW film and even got to mix some five year
old XTOL, stop bath and fixer and have it all work without fault.

I borrowed a Nikon 8000 scanner from my Leica dealer for the 120 film and I
have the Coolscan V for 35mm
Nikon stopped supporting these scanners at Vista 32 bit.

 I thought this might be useful to others.
A little searching found this very helpful post in a Windows 7 forum.
http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html
I followed the instructions and the Nikon Scan software works correctly for
me with no further workarounds despite Nikon Support saying that it will
not work.

Vuescan works independently from the workaround, Nikon drivers and scan
program.
I just find the quirky Nikon scan program easier to use for batch scanning
(aka I haven't worked out the equivalent in Vuescan Pro as yet since I
haven't shot film to scan for five years or so to scan.
At the end of my film stocks I can retire the film scanners.... except for
the thousands of frames I never got around to sorting and digitising once I
got my M8!

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman