Subject: [Leica] My first successful picture of my son
From: rbardsley at gmail.com (Ryan Scott Bardsley)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:51:54 -0500

Hello,

I am getting better at capturing the little monsters with my M8 as they run
(and crawl) around our house. Honestly, they are great practice. I am
becoming more familiar with the lens focus, and which direction to turn it
as they constantly move closer and further away from me because it ?makes
daddy grumble.? It is still a bit hard for me to see the area I am trying to
focus on, especially when I don?t necessarily have a well-lit edge to align.
But, I gather that will come in time. In general, what is a good place to
focus on for a human face? I have been trying several settings, but it seems
like the eyes offer a good balance between capturing the expression and
having a nice soft edge to their face. Sometimes I find that the nose is
also out of focus. Again, more time behind the lens will cure this, I am
sure.

Does anyone have experience with adding the diopter correction attachments
to the viewfinder? What about that viewfinder magnifier? It is still a bit
tricky for me to see the focusing area very well.

Either way, I am loving my M8. I ordered a strap for it so I can have it at
the ready all the time. I have been trying to keep it with me so I can get
used to trying to capture things I see on my commute. Getting up and close
with strangers on the street hasn?t happened just yet. I don?t live in the
nicest of areas.

Here is my son:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rbardsley/L1000193.png.html

Why he thinks this is how you ?smile? for the camera, we have no idea. It is
a consistent response and I am sure you will be seeing more of these in the
future.

Please, comment away? I am just starting. I would love the help.

Ryan
Boston, MA

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] My first successful picture of my son)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] My first successful picture of my son)