Subject: [Leica] Leica shopping in Hong Kong
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:47:17 +0800

Geir,
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. Leica list prices in Hong Kong are
on average over 30% higher than the list prices in Europe (without VAT). And
most shops in Hong Kong sell over list to our mainland cousins who buy buy
buy based on the name plate - whether it's Prada or Leica. Hong Kong old
timers like me and Joseph Yao and Ray Tai decry the situation but there is
nothing we can do and when we "need" something Leica we either order it from
Europe or America. A couple of price examples. The second half 2011 Leica
price list for Hong Kong (which will likely go up this month) lists a grey
or black M9 (the standard model not the P) at HK$61,500 (US$7,917). The
price for the same camera from the Leica shop in Vienna is Eu4,680 -
including Eu 100 for shipping. That, at today's exchange rate is HK$46,582
(US$5,996). Another example. I wanted the special UV/IR cut filter for my 18
Elmar. The list in Hong Kong is HK$2,500 (US$321). I bought the filter from
Tony Rose at Pop Flash for US$200 (HK$1,553) - including shipping and it
arrived last night. So, if you are looking for reasonable pricing I'm afraid
Hong Kong is not the place. Twenty years ago it was but not anymore.
Sadly yours
Howard (in high rent Hong Kong)

Replies: Reply from robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron) ([Leica] Leica shopping in Hong Kong)