Subject: [Leica] OT perhaps - monitor selection
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:05:50 -0600

On Jan 12, 2012, at 12:17 AM, Marty Deveney wrote:

> Otherwise you're just guessing.

With the same adjustments available
though with your eyes taking the place of the puck
it does allow for a rather educated guess though.

It may depend on how much training your eyes have had in color work.
With 40 years of press proofing in 5,000K light tents and on 5,000K light
boxes;
I feel fairly confident in my eyes;
though age may remove that confidence of youth.

I've had three professional monitors complete with their system pucks and
software.
I found them only slightly better than a visual calibration.
It was very difficult to get them adjusted for room conditions.
They were very sensitive to extraneous light.
These were tube monitors
so things may have improved in the flat screen calibration systems.

YMMV

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com