Subject: [Leica] Scanners
From: robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 09:44:23 -0600

I have a Nikon 4000.  I bought it new about ten or so years ago.  I
hadn't used it since it came back from a cleaning by Nikon at least 2
or 3 years ago but I unboxed it and started using it again in December
and it does an acceptably good job on my old Ektachrome slides.

I use Vuescan Pro software, which is a fraction of the cost of
Silverfast.  The interface is a bit confusing but it has been upated
since the last time I used it so it is easier, and there are resources
on the web to help understand it. (Just remember, Google can be your
friend.)

A number of my old slides are very dusty and some even have what I
assume is a fungus (on scanning it looks like a cross between a spider
web and a space alien) but the software removes almost every trace.
It is magical.

And: Howard,
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/China70s/_HeavyIndustw.jpg.html
 is a wonderful image.  I am glad someone re-posted the link because
here in Oklahoma (on both Mac using Safari and PC using Firefox) it
came out garbled, displaying in part what looks like characters in
Chinese to me.

--Bob