Subject: [Leica] absolutely stunning documentary photography
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:07:34 -0800

George Lottermoser OFFERED:

> <http://ettoremalanca.com/>

Hi George,
It is a fine collection of documentary photos shot in Paris, where most
people never bother about a photographer walking the street shooting. Good
old Henri Cartier Bresson and many other greats of the past kind of set the
trend! :-)

One question so the series is kept in perspective.

"I wonder what the time frame was in shooting all these images?" And did the
same photog do it all? Because it's basically street photography that some
folks think the shooter did this walk about in a day..... certainly those
who've never really engaged in street photography capturing the number of
fine photograph we see here. It just doesn't happen, no matter how good or
who the shooter is. That's not a put down on the photography because many
are outstanding moments of quick re-action to the action moment. And
wonderful observation instincts.

But then? Don't we see images as strong as many of these are from Lluis and
his people material in Barcelona? Certainly when you put a selection of his
very best photographs together as a showing??

I love doing this kind of documentary shooting and many of my National Film
Board of Canada assignments were a month or two walking the streets of
various locations across Canada capturing the life of the day. Was never
accosted once, but then that was during the 60's when people were polite and
no concerns about terrorists and bad guys. :-(

Thanks for the heads-up on this site, as it's well worth a few trips looking
carefully. But seeing the same moment the second time there is some subtle
thing in a corner really making the shot far better that you missed the
first go around.
cheers,
ted