Subject: [Leica] 16x20 darkroom print
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 08:40:32 -0800

Richard Man OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] 16x20 darkroom print

>I have done a few 16x20 darkroom prints through a workshop. It's absolutely
> glorious to see the giant image popping out under the safelight.<<<<<<

Hi Richard,
Making 16X20 prints in wet tray is a wonderful experience, certainly the
first time or two, as you say, "watching this big image begin to appear" is
stomach gripping with excitement. As it reaches the peak of development and
you slide it into the stop bath, then the fix.... a few swishies back and
forth.  "THEN TURN ON THE WHITE LIGHT?"

"OH MY GOSH LOOK AT THAT!" And you do get all squiggly inside! JUST LOVE IT!
:-)

By the same token is the reverse. :-( The test strip looked pretty good,
perfect actually???? You put the full sheet of 16X20 paper into the easel,
make the exposure and slide this big sheet of white paper into the developer
tray. Obviously watching the timer and back to print. You smile as the image
begins to appear and appear and appear? Then you want to throw-up because
for some unknown reason...... "YOU BLEW THE EXPOSURE!!" :-(

So many questions fire through your mind? "What happened? Did I set the
timer wrong? Did I ? Did I? What in heaven's name did I do? etc etc? As you
put the print in the trash can! :-( Money thrown away and the thoughts of
starting a test strip all over again! Truly gut wrenching making another
16X20 print!

Aaaaahhhh but it's a beauty this time. Then washing and drying and holding
this magnificent beauty in your hands once again the nice squiggly feeling
returns and you whisper quietly to yurself....... "DAMN I'M GOOD!" And enjoy
the feeling of the paper in your hands and the image before you.

Yeah at times it was pure magic making prints in the olden wet tray days.
:-)

Today, digital and machine printing? There is a similar re-action, but only
after the print is fully completed when you return in about 20 minutes or so
and only when you hold it up having used a heavy duty double weight Fine Art
paper.

Only then do the squigglies hit and on occasion you can still whisper.......
"Damn I'm Good!" And smile! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] 16x20 darkroom print)