Subject: [Leica] RAW vs jpg (Ted: please read)
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:32:50 -0800

A specific experience I had with RAW processing in LR (It could just
as well have been Photoshop) demonstrates that the a sensor has
greater latitude than film. I was taking pictures for a repair
operation on a large 5-ton piece of hardware in an ill lit area in a
museum. It was large enough that one of the workers was up on a
ladder. But most detailed mechanism was near the floor. I had to
shoot at the M9's maximum ISO.

In the images prior to processing, none of the mechanism detail
showed. In a .jpg out of the camera, that would have been the
appearance. But the RAW file actually had the data, and LR's "fill
light" made those details clearly visible without altering the medium
and high tones of the pictures.

--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org