Subject: [Leica] Looking at buying an M8
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:31:45 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011  manolito at videotron.ca wrote:

>For me, photography is mostly about timing. My job is to press the button
>at the right time and the camera's job is to not get in my way. I >press.
>It captures.

>My main requirement for a camera is to do what I want it to do when I want
>it to.

>I am annoyed by cameras with buttons on the front, buttons and toggles all
>over the back, on the sides. Panels here and panels there. >Extra screens.
>Things to pre-program and tehn re-program for something else later. Very
>distracting when it comes to my timing.

>I suppose one could take 10x more photos to overcome all that distraction.
>But then, it isn't really about timing anymore, is it?

>I just need one button most of the time -- the shutter release -- and one
>screen -- the viewfinder -- that allows me to see the moment when I >press
>the one button.

>For me, only the film Leica M truly fulfills my requirements.

>Emanuel
===================================================================================================
Well said.  I agree.  I'm continually fighting the Canon DSLR's at work -
too many unneeded features that get in the way, and others that don't live
up to their promise.

I covered my 68th graduation ceremony yesterday, and had to throw away so
many pictures that were out of focus.  The autofocus just didn't seem up to
locking on to grads in black robes under relatively dim conditions.  When I
used to be able to shoot this event with M's and Nikon F2's, I had a higher
percentage of sharp pictures.  And I don't care what anyone says, in my
experience, the shutter lag on DSLR's is worse than film SLR's and of course
no match to the quick response of rangefinders. I even used to shoot
basketball with an M4-2 and winder.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee