Subject: [Leica] Vivian Maier
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:03:37 -0000

"Lew Schwartz" <lew1716 at gmail.com> wrote

> Another set is on view at Steven Kasher, 521 West 23rd Street, New York,
> NY
> 10011.  These two shows actually opened on the same night augmenting an
> anomalous situation in the history of photography. I've begun to blog
> about
> this if you are interested: LewSchwartz.com.

I was interested and agree completely with the following on your site.
(That's not to say I disagree with everything else:)

Lew writes "The issues, however, are not unique to street photography and
photojournalism. They are the same issues that one encounters in nude
photography and portraiture in general. Eye contact with the subject makes
an image a 3 way disclosure in that the subject of the photo is both
collusive and self-composing, as though the photographer is showing the
viewer to the subject for unknown or assumed reasons. Minus the eye contact,
a photo is more like a thought offered for sharing by the photographer with
the viewer."

Douglas

Message from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] Vivian Maier)