Subject: [Leica] Any pointers on taking full moon photos?
From: kingfisher at halcyon.com (Larry Bullis)
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 21:21:00 -0800

Clayton is right on.

When I had students a few years back this would always become a topic,
especially around this time of year. Somebody would always bring in a
picture that was pretty much all black that had a tiny and very fuzzy
white spot right in the middle of it. Tiny because when we SEE the moon
it dominates our perception and we ignore the frame, so we forget about
everything else. White because it is very overexposed. Fuzzy because the
intense exposure of the moon, a tiny spot, would illuminate that part of
the emulsion so much that it would become a light source radiating to
the surrounding area, exposing it, incrementally diminishing in a circle
surrounding the moon image.

One very important thing to consider is that the moon is full when it is
directly opposite the sun. The time to shoot it if you don't want the
result described above is just when the sun goes down. The best time of
year to do this is most likely the September full moon, if it happens in
late September, or the October if that happens early in the month. That
way you can get the earth and the moon, too, in relative balance. In the
summer, the earth will be a bit bright destroying the drama, and in the
winter, a bit dark - also destroying the drama but in a different way.
This month could be ideal for an earth that is a stop or maybe a bit
more on the dark side. Just do it right when the moon comes up.
Otherwise, what you'll get is just a picture of the moon. Next month?
Forget it. It's gone.

It's a question of balance. As the sun goes down, the earth gets darker.
The moon stays the same. It is just as bright as the Safeway parking lot
at midday. Remember those moon rocks? Gray... So, set your
aperture/shutter speed for that, and meter the landscape. If it's a stop
or two darker than your sunny 16, you'll get some detail. More than
that, no.

There has been a fair amount of argument about WHY the moon looks bigger
when it just rises. It isn't bigger. It does look like it is, though. Is
it the effect of the atmosphere's operation as a lens? Is it comparison
with terrestrial objects? What I think that proves is that our senses
are pretty unreliable. You know, the image on the retina is upside down
to what we see. So you believe everything your eyes (seem to) tell you?
come on. I think we see what we think we ought to see.

Hope this gives you something tangible to work with.