Subject: [Leica] Hold no punches C&C needed
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 20:51:37 -0500

Richard --

Photographing OWS gatherings in such a way as to be original is going to be
very hard.

I've been in NYC now since around the time the whole thing started and hear
about it almost every day on the local NPR station, have attended a few of
the rallies, witnessed the huge police presence one Sunday night when they
cleared Washington Square Park with goon squads, came across a sidewalk
march even today, hear the hovering helicopter(s) whenever I'm in lower
Manhattan.

I looked at your collection of photographs and noticed immediately the
darkness present in each image. This can be a powerful technique and you
use it effectively in many of your pictures.

I have several other comments:

-- the mix of Xpan and regular 35mm images don't work for me, I'd rather
see a consistent set of one or the other

-- the long crowd shots could be anything, I think for this (or any essay)
to work, you have to get in close

-- while the sign pictures are "in close", they are too easy, and are
easily over-used

As with any photo story, the photographer needs to ask themselves what they
want to say with their pictures. Yours are all over the place and I don't
see anything that I haven't seen before.

There is one student in one of the classes I am attended at ICP who is a
very, VERY serious 99%er and she has taken it upon herself to photograph
the events here daily. She showed the glass her pictures and got much the
same feedback that I have given you above. I think I heard today that she
has interested The Nation magazine in her work so she must have lasered in
on something.

Technically your series is absolutely fine -- but I ask "where is YOUR
story"? and what sets your series apart from the many that have come before
and will come after?

Like I said, originality (even though nothing we do is TRULY original) is a
major challenge.
.
Dave.

--
See my 2011 Picture A Week (PAW) Gallery
<http://www.dlkphotography.com/paw>originally begun in 2007.

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Hold no punches C&C needed)