Subject: [Leica] #2 --- YOUR RE-ACTIONS TO THIS LEICA short story FOR THE BOOK?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 12:07:26 -0800

Only two for today. :-) Your comments appreciated: Good, bad or ugly. Thank
you Remember a proper editor will be editing the copy.
==========================
 Cold Water, Dry Camera

Photographers do some dumb things in the pursuit of pictures; quite often

not thinking of the consequences of their actions. One rarely, if ever,
considers it might be fatal! It's always, " get the picture!" Or nearly so!

It was a cold January day in Ottawa. Temperature 20 below zero,

ice crystals in the air over the open water of the fast flowing

river creating hoar frost on trees. It was magical as a photograph!

I tested the ice a couple of times by jumping up and down, not a very good
move in the event you were on a weak spot, splash!  It appeared to be solid
enough so I didn't give it another thought, being more intent on the picture
possibilities.

Shooting as I made my way along the ice, I inadvertently moved farther
toward the open river for a better angle of the sun and trees.  Suddenly
there was a sharp crack and I dropped straight down and found myself
standing on the river bottom up to my armpits. Instinctively I reached up to
keep the camera dry and reached towards the ice still attached to shore.

Photographers are concerned about their gear first and body second or it

appears that way.  Standing in the water wondering how the hell I was

going to get out I made my first move.  Pulling my hat off, I put my camera

in it and placed it on the ice in front of me, pushing the bundle as far as

I could towards shore.

It never fails, there are never other photographers around to photograph
you,

if nothing else assisting in your recovery.

With some effort I managed to pull myself onto firmer ice and crawl to

shore pushing my hat & camera ahead of me on the dry ice.

By the time I reached my car, clothes, camera and I were beginning to

freeze solid.  Shivering uncontrollably I managed to start the car and get
the heater on.

Then drove home for a hot shower and dry clothes.

I was extremely lucky in this case, sometimes getting the picture is the
last

thing a photographer ever did.

The saying, "My last pictures will be my best!" isn't always true.

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] #2 --- YOUR RE-ACTIONS TO THIS LEICA short story FOR THEBOOK?)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] YOUR RE-ACTIONS TO THIS LEICA short story FOR THE BOOK?)
Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] YOUR RE-ACTIONS TO THIS LEICA short story FOR THE BOOK?)