Subject: [Leica] OT: jazz radio
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:38:29 -0600

Gang -- We don't have a good jazz radio station here in town so I've been
listening to a lot of internet radio via iTunes.  Just wanted to pass along
a couple of tips about some channels I've found.  My most listened to
station recently is Bebop - SKY.FM, which plays mostly classic jazz from the
50s-70s -- say from Lester Young and Bird through Monk, Miles, Trane and
their contemporaries.  They play most of the classic artists, specializing
in the more up-tempo selections, instrumental only.  The playlist is pretty
solid, but if you listen a lot you'll hear the inevitable repeats.  Another
station I like is The Cafe Radio, which plays an eclectic mix of cross-genre
music from the 30s-50s, not limited to jazz.  They play a *lot* of Django
and Joe Venuti, along with Bob Wills, The Boswell Sisters, early Johnny
Cash, Ella and Billie.  I like the crazy genre mix and have learned to
appreciate some artists that I never spent much time with before.

You can find the stations in iTunes by going to Library>Radio and selecting
your preferred genre.

Bebop - SKY.FM is at Library>Radio>Jazz>Bebop - SKY.FM.
The Cafe Radio is at Library>Radio>Eclectic>The Cafe Radio
If you enjoy older stuff, try Library>Radio>Blues>Venerable Radio, which
specializes in the 78rpm era, and not just blues.

There's also a lot of other good stuff at iTunes radio, from Bluegrass to
early blues but you have to kind of hunt around to find it.

For iPod/iPhone users, you can't access the radio through the iTunes app,
but you can DL the app Live365 (free), which offers a similar mix, via
drop-down genre menu.

Oh yeah -- it's all free!

--
Phil Swango