Subject: [Leica] IMG: New gallery - a walk through a little known jewel of a city
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:56:07 +0200

Hi all,

most people tend to drive straight past *Tangerm?nde*
over one of the few bridges that cross the Elbe river
(on the B188 East-West highway from Berlin to Hannover)
without noticing that it's there.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Germany/Tangermuende/

The city, as its name infers, is at the point where the
river Tanger joins the Elbe, and has been a city since
the 12th century and also the seat of a the German
emperor Karl IV. The opriginal castle was razed to the
ground by the Swedes, but much of the medieval
fortifications still survive - almost all of it is
brickwork, and hardly any stone.

Most of the city now dates from 1671, after a young
woman by the name of Grete Minde burned the city down
as revenge for her mistreatment - her name has gone
down in German literature in a classic novel by Theodor
Fontane published in 1879

We always stop there for lunch or a coffee and a break
from driving with a walk around the city.

This ancient city is in the process of being brought
back to its former glory after years of very limited
investment under the communist regime of the GDR. As
can be seen, some parts are still very much in need of
redevelopment, but the work is in full swing throughout
most of the city.

The Schloss built on the foundations of the old castle
is now a 4-star hotel (with very reasonable prices),
and some of the towers of the medieval castle now
contain hotel rooms - including the prison tower!!

Although the pictures were shot on 3 separate visits
(one of them very cloudy and dull), their order shows
our usual route and our usual stops around the place.

Well worth a visit if you are ever in the area.

I'll be putting up some of the shots in colour when I
get around to it.

Hope you enjoy the visit
Douglas

BTW: the lady in the  leather jacket is Frauke, my missus.

Some of the shots with rather low contrast were shot
with a Tamron zoom I picked up for 15 euros at the flea
market in Berlin - it's not one of their best:-)

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMG: New gallery - a walk through a little known jewel of a city)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: New gallery - a walk through a little known jewel of acity)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: New gallery - a walk through a little known jewel of a city)
Reply from quantran101 at gmail.com (Quan Tran) ([Leica] IMG: New gallery - a walk through a little known jewel of a city)