Subject: [Leica] This is why there's no 30MP M10...
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 18:02:19 -0700

I once calculated that to be equal to film resolution with a given
"molecular" particle size of the basic chemical based emulsion, was about
25MP/square inch.... .

Please. No wars over how I calculate this or my assumptions.... it is old
history... and I have long forgotten.

But to the point.... Storage has now hit $35 per TB.  It is not a reason to
hold back on sensor resolution.

Processors now are 8 core and run at 3GHz.  A 8GB Ram, 1.5GB Hdd,  8 Core
Intel processor based computer from Dell is... $600. ( I bought 2 of these
recently).  To extend to 16GB would cost another $60.

Computer limitations are not a reason to limit sensor resolution.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

Canon 1Dx weighs in at 18 Megapixel, the same as the M9. I think people are
realizing that more MP -> need for faster processing and more storage. So 18
may just be the sweet spot for full frame 35mm.

Replies: Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] This is why there's no 30MP M10...)
Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] This is why there's no 30MP M10...)