Subject: [Leica] Woe is me..... Follow up.....
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:08:09 -0700

Well, I decided on the new version of the Nikon 24-120.  (Thanks Mark)   It
is constant F-4,
reviews much better than the earlier versions, seems solidly built, weighs a
50% more than my 35-70, but quite a bit less than the Nikon 24-70.  Has IS
so might not have to tripod up as much.  It will offer me a bit of an
expanded range on the low and high end, so I can compensate for the weight
gain by leaving one other lens home.  A bit softer than the 35-70, but it is
a 5x zoom vs a 2x zoom.  At 5.6 things look pretty good. Shots with my 35-70
wide open seem quite a bit sharper, but no direct comparison since the 35-70
is unfit to take photos at this time.  It does not have a macro feature like
the 35-70 and I will miss that for occasional macros when I was not
expecting to take any.  I may loose my weight advantage by having to lug the
100 APO all the time.  I will get the 35-70 repaired in November, when I
return from our trip.

Hope there will be much to see on our trek across the country, and not too
much weather problems.  Maybe some of the mess back east will be cleaned up
by the time we get there.  Should take us about two weeks to cross from
Washington to Washington.  (State to DC, that is....)  Everything is tuned
and ready to go.  Just need to pack the old vehicle and head out Friday AM.

Aram

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Woe is me..... Follow up.....)
Message from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] Dave's PAW (*) 2011 #36)