Subject: [Leica] (no subject)
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:41:36 -0700

Thanks, Jim!  "Girl Talk" is my favorite picture (taken purely as a
picture) from the night. And I'm not sure how I got the float plane. I
think it was a Ted Grant "Look at that-click" moment.

Phillipe:  Great suggestion. Like this?
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AleksJennyReception/L1008469-ClonDodg2-w.jpg.html>

I don't know if you noticed this, but there is someone's more distant
face poking out of the man's profile on the right. That kind of spoiled
the picture for me, even though I love the couple's expressions and had
thought about working it up in B&W.  This is why I didn't do anything
further with this shot until you mentioned it. Getting rid of the extra
face is beyond my cloning skills. I did clone out a glaring reflection
just to his right (on the speakers), and dodged the woman's face a bit.

You are of course right about fill flash helping in this situation, but
it also would have added another color temperature to the mix (very
yellow golden-hour light plus deep blue sky).  Interestingly, the pro
photographer had a flash, but like me, she didn't use it until well into
the night. Situations like this make me long for B&W film, where you
could expose only for the faces, and just burn in the background later.

Maybe I should invest in an aluminized-fabric reflective shirt.  :-)

--Peter

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AleksJennyReception/L1008469.jpg.html
 > crop the top and turn it BW, it's a sure winner :-)

 > OTT I think that due to the difficult backlight outdoors, a tiny bit
 > of fillflash might have helped the ladies complexions ...

Anyhow it looks like it was a memorable and very enjoyable party :-)
Thanks for sharing Peter
Bien cordialement de Metz
Philippe

Le 5 sept. 11 ? 17:38, Jim Nichols a ?crit :

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AleksJennyReception/L1008416.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AleksJennyReception/L1008385.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AleksJennyReception/L1008415.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/AleksJennyReception/L1008403.jpg.html