Subject: [Leica] Another photo-culture-police report
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:50:32 -0500

On Aug 16, 2011, at 12:45 AM, Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu> wrote:

> My first instinct was "yet another reason to stay away from LA, a place
> where I cannot think of any reason to visit" (yes, I have been there). But
> after reading the entire article, I am beginning to think, what is the big
> deal? It sounds very much like the encounter was polite, the cop asked to
> see the photographer's drivers license, ran a quick check and then left
> the guy alone to continue taking pictures. I sit back with a feeling that
> a non-incident is being blown up out of proportions here.

I have experienced a number of these "non-incidents" with one running 40
minutes before the "polite officer" allowed me exercise my "right" to
photograph in the world. It is beyond frustrating. There is absolutely no
logical reason for the police to intervene in the practice of photography by
either professionals or amateurs.

Google maps will provide more useful information to someone intending
mayhem. And if some nut-job needs a different view for their dire plan
they'll grab it with a phone or palm held p&s.

George

Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Another photo-culture-police report)