Subject: [Leica] Buying photo equipment in the "day"
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:24:42 -0400

I shopped at most of the now defunct photo stores listed in the various
posts. To my mind, the best of the lot for used equipment were Oldens,
Camera Barn and Wall St. Photo. Willoughbys was good too for new camera
specials. Cambridge and 47th Photo were notorious for ripping off the
customer by bait and switch tactics. When you shopped there in person for an
advertised special, they would strip the package, sell you just the camera,
and then charge extra for all the bits and pieces normally included in the
box (lens caps, straps, batteries). More often than not, you got grey market
equipment. If you bargained hard, usually threatening to call the NYC
Consumer Protection Agency, you could get them to deliver the advertised
equipment but it usually wasn't worth the effort. Of the general photo
stores still in business, B&H and Adorama were by far the best of the lot
although during the period when I did most of my photo shopping, B&H was
best for supplies, not used equipment. I would trust them both for mail
order. Be aware that if you visit NYC and want to shop in person for photo
equipment, most of the big stores are closed on Saturday for the Jewish
Sabbath. To compensate, most are open on Sunday.

I had one major advantage.My university office for nearly 32 years was in
the heart of the NYC Gramercy Park photo district. Several pawn shops near
Lexington Ave., between 11th. St. and 23rd. St. specialized in used photo
gear. It was far easier for a pro who needed cash to simply pawn little used
or outmoded equipment than to sell the stuff to a dealer. I picked up a nice
Leica M3 and a couple of lenses that way. I even shopped at Tamarkin but I
couldn't afford all the new Leica stuff being offered.

And Jim, I have an H8 8mm Bolex camera that you can have if you still want
one. For free! Just let me know where I can pick up a cheap Fuji X100.

Larry Z

- - - - - -

Jim Shulman writes:

In the "good old days", camera stores (and the very occasional vintage

camera show) were about the only places to get used equipment.  I recall

trolling the 32nd street stores circa 1974 for a Bolex H8 Reflex, a piece

of pro-quality gear made for the 8mm market in the early 1960s.  Nada,

zip, zilch after a day's hunting.  There was one crummy example I later

found at Olden, at an outrageous price.  Today, thanks to That Auction

Site, I can probably find several example, any one of which would have

been vastly superior to the Olden merchandise.

It's a different world, now that a camera is nothing more than a computer

peripheral.  Used equipment (for the most part, unless very high tech) is

about as attractive as a four year old computer.  It ages faster than

unrefrigerated sturgeon. As I said on Saturday at the LUG meeting, in four

years today's Fuji X100 will be worth what, about $50 or $100?  By that

time there will be at least two or three more modern iterations of the

camera, with easier to use menus, faster processing, probably

interchangeable lenses, a bidet and a flame-thrower for less money.