Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 48, Issue 209
From: pj at goodphotos.com (Michael Eric Berube)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 08:10:52 -0400

Mark Rabiner lost a few covers in the NYTimes and assumed the loss was
due to prejudice against his equipment.
This has led him to the following false conclusion:
>The cropped bodies are toys that no one takes seriously any more.
>That's why they cost 800 bucks.
>
>Its like you traded in  your M6 for a 110 pocket instamatic and you think
>they are equivalent. "I thought it would be nice to have something smaller!"

In comparing the D700:D700 question to 135:110 Mr. Rockwell
(sorry...Rabiner) has made it clear what to take seriously.

There is a HUGE difference between the 2005 DX tech that was in his
D200 and 2010 DX tech that is in the D7000.
I've owned and fed my family with the D100, D70, D70s, D2h, D200, D60,
D90, D700 and D7000. (Still have the D60, D90 and D7000.)
I'll reiterate my previous comment...I LOVED my D700, but the sensor
in my 'toy' D7000 provides me an image quality equal to the D700 which
I used for 2.5 years in every respect unless I'm (rarely) shooting
above 3200ISO and then some tweaking in PS.CS5 evens the balance.

The NYTimes, like most newspapers in the country prints on Charmin{tm}
with big dots of ink. Do you really think you can tell the difference
between even a D100 image and a D3x image printed on Charmin? No. It
isn't the quality of your camera that will lose you a cover any more
than it will loose you any other job. "Professionals" use the tool
that works for the job at hand. If we can get a tool which will do the
equivalent job and it costs $800 instead of $8000 that is a few more
mortgage payments that we don't have to worry about.

Carpe lumen,
Michael Eric Berube

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 48, Issue 209)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 48, Issue 209)