Subject: [Leica] Thinking about a D700 or D7000 long reply IMGs
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 01:50:28 -0400

> Alastair Firkin wrote:
>
>>I was 'forced' into nikon by the scuttling of the R system and my desire
>>to continue using an SLR in far away places. I had already risked the DMR
>>in the Arctic and Antarctic and had 'survived', but I knew that the dusty
>>conditions of our next venture to Africa would sorely test the Leica:
>> this
>>was confirmed by Jay and Howard, who simply told me to "forget it".
>
> How did Jay and Howard confirm this?  Did they take a DMR to Africa and it
> failed?
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

No, but I was not going to hunt out another DMR to back up the first one.
In all likelyhood it would have survived, but there were other reasons.
The DMR is so easy to clean sensor wise, that was not a big issue, but the
weatherproof sealing on the hybrid is dubious in comparison to Helen's Oly
and the Nikons at the upper end.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting the DMR down, I'd have been one of the
first in line for an R10 and happily used the DMR to back it up.

Cheers

Alastair