Subject: [Leica] (FF) wide open
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:44:40 -0700

John McMaster showed:
> Subject: [Leica] (FF) wide open

> Early daffodils
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Chiaroscuro/Flowers/daffs.jpg.html
>
> High key...
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Chiaroscuro/Flowers/daffs.jpg.html
> The next day all the flowers and buds had been pruned off.<<<

Hi John,
Shooting wide open does create magical backgrounds and most times beautiful
separation of sharp in-focus subject to complete blurred out backgrounds.

However in both these photos the brilliant bright "lights-lighting?" back
ground just kill these right off! Your eyes can hardly lock on the flowers
for blowing right by them into that brilliant light mess back ground.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh! But an honest critique is far better
than.... "ooohhhh pretty flowers!" When unfortunately they shouldn't have
made it pasted the delete key! :-(

Both pictures I'd have been on my belly on the ground focusing as close as
the lens would allow, maybe going vertical rather horizontal? I also believe
your back too far as we see here. With a bit of jigging about I'm sure you
could've elliminated the back ground lighting completely and had a far
better photo.

Sorry mate nothing personal intended.

Just simple photo facts.
cheers,