Subject: [Leica] IMG: "Solarized" Fire Dancer
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 22:48:30 -0700

Does this work?
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/VacationAug2011/L1008345_BWcrop-w.jpg.html>

This is from the series of "Fire Dancers" I took a few days ago. In this
one, the freshly-lit torches were brighter than in most of the other
shots, so the face in the initial color image was very bright yellow.
But actually, only the flames were at the sensor's limit.  The face had
information. I liked the look of the woman's eyes, so I decided to see
what I could do with the image.

I darkened the image a bit and converted to B&W, experimenting with
various color channel combinations in the conversion.  A yellow-green
mix worked best.  I got these weird black lines around the transitions
between the bright yellow and dull red portions of the illumination on
the arms and legs.  This, and the motion of the arms created a
"solarized" effect.  It's weird, but I kind of like it.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] IMG: "Solarized" Fire Dancer)