Subject: [Leica] IMG OT: first few from my Rolleiflex
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 02:25:40 -0400

I picked up a near mint Rolleiflex 3.5E from a fellow LUGer and had it
CLA'd, shutter and film transport overhauled by Krimar Photo. Now it's
as smooth as butter and just an incredible camera.

Here's a few from my first three rolls:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PhilForrest/Phila_110308web/RS_gymnasts.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PhilForrest/Phila_110308web/RS_suit.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PhilForrest/Phila_110308web/RS_symmetry.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PhilForrest/Phila_110308web/thinker.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PhilForrest/Phila_110308web/motor.jpg.html

These images were scanned with an Agfa DLAB-2 in "high resolution" mode
but saved with a lot of jpeg compression which I don't like. A local
lab did the scans for me. Next time I'll have a friend with a Nikon
9000 do them.

I'm still coming to terms with the mode of composition and the dimmer
screen. Yes, I know I can have a Fresnel screen installed but I always
have hated the fine concentric circles they add to the viewing image.
They have made it brighter but precise focus is more difficult for me
with them.

In addition to revisiting the waist level finder seriously, I find
myself composing more in the center. I'll get over it as I get more
used to the operation of the camera, I'm sure. I've only been able to
really shoot with it for about 4 whole days.

Using the Rolleiflex makes me want to ditch the digital Leicas
altogether and get back to Plus-X and Tri-X. It's such a fine piece of
mechanical engineering. (so is my M4)

Your critiques and comments are always appreciated.

Thanks all,
Phil Forrest

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG OT: first few from my Rolleiflex)
Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] IMG OT: first few from my Rolleiflex)