Subject: [Leica] Magic, I say!
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:45:56 -0700

Thanks Marty, I will play with the 2-bath Pyrocat-HD more to get the maximum
out of it. I tweaked the image a little bit to giv it a little bit more
mid-punch. Not sure if it helps or not.

Thanks again for the advice.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Marty Deveney <benedenia at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I really like this process too - pyrocat developers are really sharp.
> The shot of your wife on the bike shows some of the midtone
> compression that is a problem with all two-bath developers (the only
> real way I found to solve it is with more exposure and more
> development) but particularly ones like pyrocat where the A-bath
> really doesn't hve enough alkali in it to initiate development.  With
> almost all other formulae - divided D76, Diafine, whatever, the A bath
> has enough sulfite or other alkali in it to raise the pH enough for
> some development to begin.  Shoot a few frames, run them through the
> A-bath of a two-part developer and then fix if you would like
> evidence.
>
> You can clean your reels very effectively in a dishwasher - the
> alkaline detergents used in those machines, combined with the heat,
> effectively remove any residues on the reels - and when you pull them
> out they are dry (so if they are plastic they are ready to load up
> again right away).
>
> Marty
>
> --
// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com/>