Subject: [Leica] Leica M8 and M9 list
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:03:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 Tina Manley <images at comporium.net>wrote:

>But shooting digital is SO MUCH CHEAPER than film. You can pay for an M9 in
>no time.  Really, no time.

>Tina
================================================================================================================================================================
Ha!  I've got to laugh.  Not for me.  If I had money for an M9, I'd have to
put it toward replacing my 1990 Geo Prizm that is starting to need more
servicing each year (if I didn't need to spend it my contributions to my
health care and pension under the new state budget).

I have a lot of B&W film stored up, and access to a scanner, so I can
process my own film and digitize the negatives.  I shoot so little
personally these days, having gotten used to only seeing pictures on the
computer (don't own an inkjet printer), that my 30D and LX3 are adequate for
my color needs.  If I wanted a print, our local Walgreen's does a good job.
Our department even uses them for our client's prints - we used to use a
Fuji Pictrography, but it was too expensive for the paper compared to what
we could charge.  And all my paid-for darkroom equipment is still usable.
At the rate I'm shooting, it would take a long time to spend $7K on film and
developer.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee