Subject: [Leica] night drops
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 20:24:51 -0700

scleroplex OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] night drops

>i like it too :-)
> there was a light drizzle and i was standing there in real darkness
> shooting
> and people walking by were wondering if anything would come out.
> it was so liberating to have a film camera with the summilux.
> go anywhere, shoot anything, even when the plane is taking off.
> yowza :-)

Hi bharani,
What you've shown here could just as easily have been shot with a digital
camera!

Actually one of the most interesting things for me, I shoot by available
light. .... Digital captures far more light than film and maintains a better
over all image. If you set high ISO / ASA with digital your end result
should or more than likely will give you a better overall light image than
pushing a roll of colour film 2-3 stops and push processing.

I have little doubt your shot as we see here, if shot with an M8 or M9 or
most other professional digital camera's it would've been much brighter or
technically a better captured image. Maybe? I don't want to get into a big
discussion here. My comment is purely from my own experience!

By the same token I shoot what I can see without thought! Simply because "If
I can see it? I can shoot it!" And I do! Constantly surprised by the amazing
image quality of digital gear.

I have no hang ups about film as I've shot thousands upon thousands of rolls
and probably souped most of them. Pushed rolls four stops just to get an
image because that's what I was assigned to cover! ..... "I see absolutely
no reason to continue using film, when digital "is a major improvement over
film hands down!" Over all, not just in processing. Go on an assignment and
take a thousand rolls of film for the shoot and think about all the extra
weight etc you have to worry about. Then consider digital? A half dozen or
less cards in your pocket and you are set for the long assignment. Or nearly
so!

Obviously many others will disagree with me. However, quite frankly I don't
care as I shoot quite differently by my heart and not one whit of technical
thought! I see? I feel! I click! It's as simple as that.

One small comment about your rain drop covered car.

 I'd have stepped much closer, filled the frame side to side with the car
and the rain drops would've popped out more and probably made a stronger
water reflection car rear end than you have here.... MAYBE?

Comments of this nature are always debatable, it's merely a suggestion
because it's a pretty interesting shot. But I think a bit of tweaking might
make it better. :-) Maybe more impact on the water drops and lights.
cheers,
Dr ted