Subject: [Leica] Hello
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:56:02 -0700

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>
wrote:
> ... Paul I'm particularly interested in this new focus
> stacking thing you've got going here - ...

At this year's workshops I had not only the M9 with a 24mm but also a
Canon with the 24 Tilt Shift.  I found no instance where the M9 could
not accomplish the same results as the TS, and far easier than the TS.

The tilting actually would have been most useful in the 50mm range.  I
have a 45 TS, but it's a mediocre optic -- not worth the weight for
hiking and not really good enough for top quality large display.  The
90 TS is very good, and the shot on my home page with taken with it.
See http://www.paulroark.com/   I'm just getting too lazy and old to
carry these tank like optics into the high country.

> By the way all my pix on the lug gallery have been uploaded using carbon
> pixels. This done by soaking my SanDisk overnight in crushed Tarryton
> cigarette filters in a shotglass of water.

Now that's an inkset approach I have not tried -- yet.

> By the way ?I'm fond of how you are doing this merging or stacking with the
> built in Photoshop image blending and not some here today gone tomorrow
> third party stuff. I'm sure Photoshop in the next tweak will improve the
> image blending algorithms ...

For all of the images I've done with the initial 2011 Golden Trout set
(URL noted previously) manual merging was easier and better than the
PS system.  When only 2 frames are involved, manual merging is really
quite easy.  The huge advance here was the PS "Edit>Auto align
layers."  Once the 2 focus zones are aligned (including resizing
needed due to the effective focal length differences of a close and
far shot) the merging is nothing more than erasing the top layer where
the bottom one is sharper.

> I love anything on my computer which takes more than three seconds to do
> after I hit the enter key.

Then you'd really love my old, slug-slow laptop!

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Hello)