Subject: [Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:30:15 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:

I've never before this review of the lens remembered the contrast or
resolution of a Leicas lens described "medium" let along "low".
I think in glass made in the 1930's the word "medium" was used now and then.
<<<

I'm surprised no one could fish out his or her Erwin book or look up the PDF
on his hard disk or on the internet.
<<<

>From Erwin's LLC on my hard drive, as simple search for the word 'medium"
reveals:

"in fact the Noctilux 1:1/50mm has low medium overall contrast "

"The Summicron-R (I) has better overall performance than the Summicron (II)
for the rangefinder system: generally we note a higher contrast in the
field and a much better reduced level of flare. At full aperture we note a
medium to high overall contrast"

"At full aperture the new Summilux-R exhibits medium to close-to-high
contrast"

"15mm Super-Elmar-R ... At full aperture overall contrast is medium..."

"19mm Elmarit-R ... At full aperture contrast is low to medium"

"28 Elmarit-R .... It is of comparable performance of the contemporary M-28
... At full aperture we have low to medium overall contrast"

"The PC-28 at full aperture has medium contrast"

"The Summilux-R for the 35mm focal length ... At full aperture overall
contrast is medium"

"1.4/75, Summilux-M, 1980 & 1.4/80, Summilux-R, 1980 ... At full aperture,
overall contrast is medium ..."

"2/90, Summicron-R ... At full aperture contrast is low to medium"

"4.8/350,Telyt-R ... Closely related to the 4/250 (2), this lens exhibits
essentially the same character, but with a generally lower contrast. At
full aperture contrast is low to medium"

And there are numerous others.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft? Windows? and Linux web and application

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH)