Subject: [Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 06:20:52 -0500

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Henning Wulff <henningw at
archiphoto.com>wrote:

> Retrofocus lenses tend to mustache distortion. Note: the pre-ASPH Elmarit
> does not have the most. What it has is astigmatism, coma and chromatic
> aberrations in the corners that is worse than the others; ie, it is softer
> and has more flare in the corners.
>
> When you're at f/5.6 all this is largely irrelevant, as usually other
> factors conspire to make your pictures not as good as you'd like, rather
> than the lens faults. But if you want to shoot at f/2.8 to f/4, the other
> candidates are all better than the pre-ASPH Elmarit in the corners.

I use the lens on an M8, and usually crop.  Ninety-nine percent of my images
go to electronic publication or small print.  The lens works for me.  It
handles nicely, There is no filter issue, and it cost me 3000 less than an
Asph.

 I'll live with that for now.

--
Regards,