Subject: [Leica] Tom Swift and His Wizard Camera
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:25:53 -0400

I bought this book, Tom Swift and His Wizard Camera, last night for ten
bucks across the street having looked for decades for an original Tom Swift
series and never seen one in person.  And I go to a lot of used book stores.
I read the second Tom Swift Jr. series as a kid in the 60's as I happen to
mention on the LUG a month ago. My grandfather read the original I think
they told me.
It was written in 1912, this book.
He has built the perfect noiseless  air ship to go with the camera. An on
going project from book to book it seems.
Its a motion picture camera turns out.  And will work with crank, battery,
or dynamo. I wiki'd dynamo.
It is compliantly automatic. And I'll read it to find out if that means AF
or A what. Its possible A means it turns on automatically when anything
interesting is going on and films it. Then turns off again and goes to
sleep.
I hope not too many things are ruined me starting out with #14 of the
series. The first one was Tom Swift and His Motor Cycle.
I wondered when I first heard of this as a kid if  the Tom Swift character
by some fluke actually invented the motorcycle. But ok probably not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Swift

I mentioned that while the orignal series had modest names like
Tom Swift and His Motor Cycle; or, Fun and Adventure on the Road, 1910
Tom Swift and His Motor Boat; or, The Rivals of Lake Carlopa, 1910
Tom Swift and His Airship; or, The Stirring Cruise of the Red Cloud, 1910

The Tom Swift Jr. Series however, cold war infused was just the opposite of
modest in its inventions and rhetoric:

Tom Swift and His Atomic Earth Blaster 1954 (by James Duncan Lawrence)
Tom Swift and His Diving Seacopter 1956 (by James Duncan Lawrence)
Tom Swift and His Ultrasonic Cycloplane 1957 (by James Duncan Lawrence)
Tom Swift and His Electronic Retroscope 1959 (by James Duncan Lawrence)
Tom Swift and His Triphibian Atomicar 1962 (by James Duncan Lawrence)
Tom Swift and His Megascope Space Prober 1962 (by James Duncan Lawrence)

Though his best friend was Bud and his girlfriend was named Penny. And his
dad was Dad.  Mr. Swift to you, Sonny

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Tom Swift and His Wizard Camera)