Subject: [Leica] Old Leica prices
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:25:10 -0400

Coincidentally, I just came across this post in PhotoNet. I have the same
Leica catalog and the prices he quotes are correct. In 1954, eleven years
earlier than the date on the poster's catalog, I bought a new, just issued
M3 with an f2 Summicron directly from Leica for the princely sum of $254. I
still have the receipt. Given the average inflation rate of the USA from
1914 to 2010 of 3.34%, my camera and lens would have cost $1652 in today's
dollars. Had the poster bought an M3 and f2.0 Summicron at the $406 price
listed in the catalog, today's value, given inflation, would be $1828. So
clearly Leica's prices have risen faster than the rate of inflation. Better
quality, I don't know. I have yet to find anyone who claims that an M6 or M7
will take better pictures than an M3 with the same lens or that the build
quality of the newer cameras is better.

Just more fuel for the fire.

Larry Z

sonny Chastant <http://photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=838404>
<http://photo.net/member-status-icons>,
Feb 11, 2011; 04:30 p.m.

I purchased a lens on Ebay and the seller sent along gratis pamphlets in the
box...one is very interesting. It is dated 1965..."Leica dn Leicaflex
Cameras and Accessories", interesting that the book lists the prices of
Leica Equipment, that date.
Leica M3-$288.
Leica M3, with 50mm Summicron F2-$406.
Leica M2-$243.
Leica M3, black finish-$273., with black 50mm F 1.4, Summilux $400.
35mm Summaron F 2.8-$120.
35mm Summilux 1.4-$198.
28mm viewfinder in Chrome-$30.
35mm viewfinder in Chrome-$28.50