Subject: [Leica] OT Stanley Cup - the other story
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&E Cummer)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:41:46 -0700

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:06:24 +0200
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>
Subject: [Leica] OT: Stanley Cup
To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>

Those Canucks really know how to celebrate defeat...I think I saw Vancouver
for the first time ever on Spanish TV this morning, and not in the most
flattering light...

Nathan Wajsman

Hi Nathan (and other Luggers)

To get the other side of the story - citizens standing up to the hooligans
please see the news story below in today's globe and mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/facing-down-vancouvers-rioters-this-is-my-neighbourhood/article2063031/

http://tinyurl.com/3p29qhc

The airwaves are full of recriminations this morning. The bottom line is
that about 200 people out of 100,000 decided to have some " anarchistic fun"
and their actions are the ones that naturally get reported because violence
is more interesting than reporting civil obedience. The hooligans had their
face masks in their pockets so there was some pre planning.

On Twitter this morning over 11,000 ordinary citizens have volunteered to
help city crews with the clean up. They are already showing up with garbage
bags to do the work.

Photos of the hooligans are being pasted on Facebook to help the police with
identification.

None of this will get reported worldwide, I'm sure. Canadians and
Vancouverites are special, indeed, but not in the way the media portrays
them in this sad case.

And yes, I'm sorry the Canucks lost but in the last game the Bruins were the
better team. There is always next year.

Cheers

Howard (safe on Pender Island where there was no trouble last night)