Subject: [Leica] Another R option
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 18:22:13 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Howard Cummer wrote:

About the Sony as an option for R lenses - doesn't Nikon use Sony chips in
their FF cameras? And if one shoots in RAW wouldn't the output of the chips
be "more or less" the same?
<<<

Depends on the Color Filter Array, which is not directly linked to the
silicon fabrication Sony does for Nikon.  The CFA can be optimized for color
quality or for high ISO performance (or some middle ground) but not both.

Also the lack of auto diaphragm control, I found, using long Leica glass on
my D700, has forced me to move to more Nikon telephoto lenses for the ease
of maintaining greater depth of field in real life shooting situations.
<<<

That's the biggest drawback as I see it and something I can't escape using R
lenses on other cameras.  I'm considering this as a backup for the R lenses
on another body while retaining the DMR so a mount conversion for the lenses
doesn't interest me.  The only other full-frame option for this scenario as
I see it is Canon so a comparison with Nikon doesn't mean much to me.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com