Subject: [Leica] Acquired Taste - was Re: William Eggleston on the Today Show
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 23:17:47 -0700

This reminded me of a story I heard. A famous photographer (not Eggleston
but at least equally famous) said to his friend that his sales are down in
the dump in the past few years. The problem? When he was up and coming,
galleries and museums must have his stuff, and times were good. Now that
he's closer to the "Final Wash" stage, and that galleries and museums that
want his stuff have already gotten them, his prints are no longer as much in
demand. The problem is that his prints are "valuable" so he can't drop the
price! So there it goes.... He just released a book recently and another one
coming soon, probably because they are more affordable than the prints and
will almost certainly be sold out.

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Montie Talbert <montoid at
earthlink.net>wrote:

> He's an acquired taste, if one is inclined to acquire it. ;-)
>
> Some of his very early work, IMHO, is somewhat palatable for
> various reasons, mostly nostalgic and some technical prowess,
> I think, but when going thru the bulk of his work, I hold with
> those who feel that he has somehow transformed power snap shooting
> into an extremely lucrative endeavor...how and why that happened
> is, of course, a whole new topic.
>
> Montie
>

> --
// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com/>